Monday, April 26, 2010

My Front Garden

About a month after we bought our place, our front garden was dug up to deal with some water drainage issues.  The dirt was pushed roughly back into place when they were done and for almost two years we did nothing with it!  So embarrassing - I'm sure the other townhouse units were wondering what kind of slackers had moved in!  Here is the giant hole...
The trim you see on the very right is our door - the hole was about 6 feet deep.

Last spring, I grabbed some random packs of seeds as I was inspired to plant something.  This happens to me quite a lot - I will see seeds, bulbs or plants and buy them without a plan of where exactly they are going to go... we are running out of room!

I planted the seeds sometime in May last year by jamming three rows of seeds into one pot.  (I like plants, but I don't love them as you can tell by how I treat them, haha.)  Here is what they looked like in June...

So I had a giant corner of dirt for a front garden and all these little plants growing in pots in the backyard...  It took me a surprisingly long time to put two & two together!

We had purchased a hydrangea plant to take up the majority of the front area.  I love hydrangeas (we have 2 in the back garden, too) and they grow very well in our area.  But beyond that, I had no idea where to start.

My Mom is much more plant-savvy than I am.  Over the phone, I gave her the names of the plants (from the empty packets of seeds I kept as cheat sheets as I had no clue what the plants were by just looking at them).  In about 30 seconds she told me what would work best where, based on height and when they flower.

By the time my parents came to visit that July, there was still only the hydrangea in the front garden.  Mom and Dad helped us organize and plant the rest of the seedlings in one afternoon.   Of course I forgot to take a picture that day, so the first one I have of it is from six weeks after the plants went in the ground.

 None of the plants flowered last year, except one or two buds on the dianthus (second row from the front) and the hydrangea, as you can see.


This year, however, I think things will be different.  Here is how it looked last week...

A little fuller than last year, and the foxgloves (on the right, against the wall) are now almost twice as tall as when I took this picture!

First flowers of the year, on the columbine...

I will update you again when there more are flowers, and will also show you around our back yard sometime this spring or summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment